Tuesday Has Come


“Come on Jiffy.  It’s time to go see Dr. T.  Daddy is going to take us in his car where you will have the hammock and more room.” (Mama talks in black.) said Mama.

While Daddy got me into the car, Mama slipped Gigi a busy bone so she wouldn’t feel left out.  Believe me, I was more than willing to let her got in my place.  I settled down in the hammock and watched the world go by as we drove to Dr. T’s.  I hoped out  and went into the waiting room.  Christie was sitting behind the desk, and took me into a smaller room than I normally go into.  Gunter walked in with my chart in his hand.  He specializes in dental issues in dogs.  He showed Mama the tooth in question, and explained what he would be doing.  Because I have a heart murmur (I’ve never heard it make so) they will use an I-V to put me into “twilight sleep” rather than a normal anesthesia.  He indicated that while I was sleeping, they would clean the rest of my teeth and x-ray my back to see what the problem there was.  He took my leash and said “Come on girl.  You will be just fine.”

I reluctantly walked through the door with Gunter, looking back at Mama wanting to say “Don’t leave me”, but of course nothing came out.

“We need to make an appointment to pick Jiffy up around 5:00 this afternoon”, Mama said.  “How about 5:00?” the receptionist asked.  “That would be perfect” Mama said.  “We’ll see you then.”

“Poor baby.  I sure hope everything goes well.  I know Dr. T is a good vet, but Jiffy is my baby”  Mama said as we drove home.  We were met at the door by Gigi. She looked at us, sniffed around, and then barked at us, as if to say, “Where is Jiffy?”  I told her we would get her back at 5:00 and she turned and went into the bedroom, climbing into one of the slumber balls.  It was going to be a long day.

The phone rang about 12:30.  It was Christie from Dr. T’s office.  The dental work was done; tooth was really bad and they took it out.  Jiffy was doing just fine and headed to have her back x-rayed.  They just wanted us to know everything was going as it should.  We took our nap.  Gigi got her normal busy bone, but wasn’t as interested it as she normally is.  

We had taken Moonbeam to get two new tires, so about 4:00 we headed to the VW dealer to pick her up.  Then to Dr. T’s.  We were early but I knew that wouldn’t matter.  Gunter talked to us about Jiffy’s teeth and said all went well.  They cleaned them as well as pulling the bad tooth; plus she had one extra very small tooth in the very front that he took out.  She was to be on soft food for the next 10 days.  I drew in a deep breath thinking about all the problems that would create.  No Busy Bones!  Then Dr. T came in and explained that Jiffy had a patch shaved off her rump where they gave her the steroid injections.  He said her back was getting old and two bones were rubbing against each other creating problems and pain.  He said she would get shots probably twice a year.  I let out a sigh and he reassured me everything was going to be just fine.  Then they brought Jiffy in.

She was still a little out of it, but I could almost read her mind – “you sure took long enough to come get me.  Let’s blow this joint.”  Harve took Jiffy out to the car while I paid for her and made an appointment for ten days.  It was going to be a very long ten days.

Author: Suzanne Wagstaff-Gibson

Suzanne Wagstaff-Gibson is the owner of Gigi, Mayflower, Bear, Moonbeam and Jiffy. Her writings are based on the lives of her dogs. All of the photographs in the books are taken by her. She lives with her husband, Erwin Harve Gibson, Sr. in McKinney, Texas.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s